Had a nice talk with family yesterday; Skype is great (and free)! Dad is like the Marine Corp, he does more before breakfast than some people do all day. I usually try to call him between 7-8:00 AM (between first and second nap times; I am so jealous, I can't wait to retire). Strangely, my sister Janice is in Shanghai now, studying to teach ESL. So, calling her is in the same time zone.
People are surprised to finally start hearing some English words from Ellie. Previously, just Lisa & I would hear a word slip out when Ellie really wanted to make a point. Some of her vocabulary (both used and understood):
Hungry (we hear that about every half hour)
Mommy/ Daddy (but Mommy is MY middle name)
No! (ignored unless said firmly but then surprisingly effective; but for how long?)
Up/Down (she has complete control of the elevator buttons)
More! (always a favorite; need I explain?)
Daddy fix. (She resists handing over anything she holds, but this usually works)
Sorry! (she can get away with murder when she tacks this on at the end)
Sko! (Lets go. I am working on teaching her Skidahdahhere)
Noodles (her favorite food: "noodles". What else? "Only noodles")
Hello/Bye Bye. (actually we prefer Helloooooooo)
Amen (although I think she believes this means Bon Apetite!)
Game? (formerly meant "puzzle"; now it means "let's slap computer keys!)
Pool (along with "hungry", this is the word we most often hear)
Howie (my brother's dog, I still have to tell her Xiao Gou)
Thank you! (Is it just me? She says it so beautifully, full of love, you really want to give more)
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like she has mastered the most important words!! What fun to see her progress! Can't wait to meet her.
ReplyDeleteDawn