Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Whole Catastrophe

Things are simmering down now (or are they?), Ellie is often happy, and periodically sad or more frequently angry. Ellie has Lisa and I playing Good Cop/ Bad Cop, but Lisa doesn't like playing the heavy role all the time (it's easy being sugardaddy). Today we split from the others in the group to try to bond better with Ellie by ourselves. The others went to some gardens that were supposed to be beautiful (so many incredibly beautiful things here, we do regret missing it).

Yesterday we went to the hotel pool and Ellie was very excited, she ran right for the water and went right in! Her friend Faith had been quite hesitant, so I thought: Ellie is a swimmer!!! Turns out, she sank like a rock! We are seeing quite often that she is pretty fearless, and kind of a daredevil. It is pretty common here for kids to do stuff that would have us arrested for child endangerment in the States. Yesterday we went to a beautiful lake park (I want an exact copy back home) that had children's amusement rides & playgrounds. The playground equipment was 1950 vintage; lots of swings that had joints that could pinch fingers, everything was heavily painted iron. I looked on the ground for knocked out teeth & finger parts, but there were people there that were constantly sweeping things up. It reminds me of my sister's observation of Mexico: "They must not have any attornies here!"

We may need to contact Dobson about taking it up a notch; maybe he could write "The Strong Willed Chinese Adopted Girl Child". We read a stack of books before we left, but Ellie has a six year history, and no instruction manual. Plus, we get to figure it all out in Mandarin. You gotta laugh! Since I was a boy, I knew my Dad loved the movie "Zorba the Greek". In the movie, a Brit who is getting to know Zorba asks if he was ever married. He says yes, he had it all: the house, the wife, the kids, "the whole catastrophe!" Interesting, how you can be all so happy and worried and sad all in the middle of a catastrophe.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Guys - I am sorry I missed your call this morning I was brushing my teeth - how disappointed I was to have a mouth full of paste! I am continuing to pray for you & Ellie, you are having quite the experience but just know that no matter how many books are written or how many people you talk to, every child is a little person just screaming to be heard no matter what language she speaks, she is one of a kind and love covers mountains. Keep the daily writings and pictures coming I really enjoy hearing what is happening and I don't want to miss anything!
    Love to all, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to parenthood "Chinese Style". :0} We are praying for you! Please call if you need to (when you get home). Been there done that. ;0]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there. She is testing the boundaries and trying to figure out this new world. Hard to imagine all the emotions she is going through.I would guess Mandarin may not be the language she spoke most often as she is from Guangdong province...but thankfully you can communicate with her. Stay strong and know that you are in our prayers. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved chatting this morning- sorry I didn't have more time. We're set up so we can call you.

    Enjoy your strong willed child- I have 2 and loved parenting them! Remember that you will NOT change the child- you will change. That's the only way it will work. And it's wonderful!

    Love all the updates. Thanks.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I just checked your blog and am so excited to see that you are with Ellie now and home soon. Blessings to you all as you begin this exciting new season!!

    Love,
    Connie Bendickson

    ReplyDelete